Welcome to UUtopia!
UUtopia is a gathering place for Unitarian Universalists and those interested in learning about Unitarian Universalism.
Services in the Sanctuary are scheduled for Thursdays at 6:30 pm Second Life Time.
The living tradition of Unitarian Universalism affirms and promotes:
- The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
- Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all;
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
Visit the UUA web site for more information on Unitarian Universalism.
Also located in UUtopia are the
- Welcoming Center
- Library of World Religions
- Town Square
- Sacred Grounds Cafe
- and more…
UUtopia is a SL General region. Please behave and dress in accordance with Linden Labs regulations. See <http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Maturity> In other words, be polite and respectful of others. Please respect the privacy of the residences on UUtopia, especially the skyboxes.
History And Purpose
UUtopia is a Second Life “private island” purchased on March 25, 2010 to provide a Sanctuary for the First Unitarian Universalist Church of Second Life, to provide public areas and buildings for the use and benefit of FUUCSL members, UUtopia residents, and the public, and to provide residential space for fellow UUs.
The First Unitarian Universalist Church of Second Life was established in October 2006, and first met in Modesta. In about March 2007, the sanctuary at Lovelace was opened. In March 2010, the sanctuary moved to the island of UUtopia.
Unitarian Universalists believe strongly in democracy and consensus. UUtopia is run according to those ideals as much as possible under Second Life regulations and standards. The UUtopia Management Committee (UMC) will govern. The UMC includes Zyzzy Zarf, Etaoin Barcelona, Lilith Yue, Zena Silverstar, Pomona Writer, and Thisbe Blackadder.
The UMC is responsible for resolving disputes and ensuring that residents and guests can enjoy this space in harmony.
The decisions of the UMC are final. There are no appeals possible.
Please contact members of the UMC to report problems or to request help.
UUtopians wishing to rent land must be approved by the UUMC.
- UUtopia is a non-commercial sim.
- Do your part to minimize lag.
- Restrict all sounds to your parcel.
- Don’t be annoying.
- Try not to be easily annoyed.
Parcels may be rented for the monthly rates of (in US$):
- 4096m – $30
- 2048m – $16
- 1024m – $8
Payment is normally in L$, paid to the rental box (Tier Management Unit) on each parcel. The rate in L$ is recalculated hourly and includes the cost to convert L$ to the US$ needed to pay Linden Labs for the island. Ask Zyzzy Zarf about paying via PayPal if that works better for you and there’s no need for mutual anonymity.
There are no purchase fees. Land may not be sold. Sublets must be approved by the UMC. No refunds will be provided for any reason.
Payments are made through the rental box on your parcel, or by other arrangement with Zyzzy Zarf.
Buildings shall be appropriate to their purposes and shall not take up the entire plot of rented land. Buildings that are too large and/or close to their neighbors, in the opinion of the UMC, must be altered as directed.
Skyboxes must be above 1000 meters and must be at least 200 meters apart, except by mutual agreement between the neighbors.
Residents will be set as the “owners” of their parcels, and may control their parcels to the extent allowed by the estate managers, except that Object Autoreturn must be turned off, as it causes the rental boxes to disappear. Parcels may be group owned, so long as the group includes only UUtopia residents.
Residents are allowed to terraform their parcels so long as the result is not unsightly or otherwise objectionable.
Residents must belong to the UUtopians group so that they can receive timely notices and have privileges on their own parcel and on common land.
Notices and Communications received by Residents and some Non-Residents will come through the UUtopia Group and/or the email list <UUtopians@googlegroups.com>. Residents are encouraged to join the email list.
There is (will be) a web site at <http://uutopia.org/> as well for more news and information about UUtopia.
In general, the UMC is responsible for keeping UUtopia a friendly, attractive, and low-lag place. Anything that interferes with that will be handled by the UMC. The following rules are an incomplete list of things and behaviors that are known to cause problems. If you have any question about whether something would be a problem, or you wish to complain about a situation, talk to one of the UMC members. While the UMC endeavors to be even-handed and reasonable, the UMC has absolute authority to do whatever it takes to alleviate problems.
In addition to the Linden Labs Terms of Service, the Second Life Community Standards, and the requirements of the G maturity rating (which we take to mean “in public”), UUtopia also prohibits public behavior or appearance suggesting real or simulated (role play) violence or oppression, either physical or emotional, as it can cause real pain to those subjected to it in real life. We encourage everyone to abide by the UU principles.
- No ban lines or security systems are allowed. UUtopia is open to the public below 500m. Specific troublesome individuals may be banned if necessary.
- No casinos or clubs.
- No group gatherings of more than 10 non-residents unless expressly authorized by the UMC. This is solely to avoid lag problems and conflicts with other UUtopian gatherings.
- No unauthorized advertising.
- No spying by any means, especially via “spy scripts”.
- No free-standing walls or prim screens that block views below 1000m.
- Buildings taller than 20m above the original land height must be approved by the UMC.
- No public behavior inappropriate to a SL General region. Don’t do things in the street that will scare the horses. Use common sense. What you do in the privacy of your skybox is up to you.
- Lag-causing objects such as pets should be minimized, esp. when the resident is not present. When there are lag problems, the UMC will scan for high-lag objects and remove them.
- Objects must not be placed across parcel boundaries, except by mutual agreement of the neighbors.
- Waterways must not be blocked to navigation.
This covenant is a work in progress. It will change. You must agree to it before becoming a UUtopia resident. If you find that you can no longer agree to it, feel free to discuss your issues with the UMC. In any case, you are free to leave.